Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon 1/4 mile range

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Why aren't you guys putting together another event at the same track the 9.65 team used? That's what I'd be planning....well or Atco (y)
Unfortunately, the Gainesville track is owned by NHRA. They wont let anyone run under 10.00 without all of the safety gear. That includes full roll cage.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #42
Even private rental?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Screenshot_2019-10-10-12-38-14.png
This is what I keep an eye on.
This number seems to determine how
Fast I make a run.
The power chiller runs at 56 degrees outside.
Any less it's just the fans and cold ambient air.
I will run my car for 3 to 4 minutes before
A pass to bring this number as low as I can
Before entering the water box.
If its below the 55 degrees ambient out.
It seems best to go down the track immediately after a pass
The car will be coolest from driving the return road back to the staging lane. 20191006_111620.jpg
These four passes are are back to back
The last is the quickest et.
The lowest I've seen this number is 43 degrees I wish I could have made my pass then.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #44
The mph difference between the last two is interesting.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
The mph difference between the last two is interesting.
That's my drivers side rear tire rebalancing itself.

That last pass went over the mark. Again.

I swap my tires side to side.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
1571676065649.jpg
The long chalk mark is balanced the short mark is out 1 way it's now on the other side last pass

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #48

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
That's B.S. on their part. How'd SRT get away with it.
I think we can all agree it's BS. I'd like to hear about SRT's communication with NHRA too. If you recall NHRA issued Dodge the Demon "ban" letter prior to its production. I don't know if that was purely part of Dodge's marketing campaign or whether it was a legitimate NHRA issuance of a true ban at their owned facilities. As a result, many NHRA sanctioned tracks do adhere to the ban if the car goes under 10.00 without the cage and other safety features.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Mine goes by NHRA rules.

But they say if in competition I dial

10.00 on my window and I break out.

I can still compete next round or race.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
They also told me to slow my mph

A little.

With a big grin on his face.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #52
Private track rentals typically don't have these types of regulations in my experience. That's a bummer. Has anyone checked Atco? Sure to have good DA there.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I think we can all agree it's BS. I'd like to hear about SRT's communication with NHRA too. If you recall NHRA issued Dodge the Demon "ban" letter prior to its production. I don't know if that was purely part of Dodge's marketing campaign or whether it was a legitimate NHRA issuance of a true ban at their owned facilities. As a result, many NHRA sanctioned tracks do adhere to the ban if the car goes under 10.00 without the cage and other safety features.
NHRA should kick out any car running 9.99 or quicker that is missing the required safety gear.
Same with pre 2008 cars running quicker than 11.49 that don't have a roll bar etc.

The Demon is not special in this regard. It is however, the only car that has been singled out by the NHRA as "banned"

I think the goal of the Demon was to run as fast and quick as possible at the track without needing all the safety BS. That is 10 flat at 135mph. When these cars run in the summer, this is what they run give or take.

I hated the "ban" marketing from this car. Because "ifyouknowyouknow" then you should already know the car running sub 10 and over 135 would be booted at any NHRA track. Plus, why would someone want to buy a drag car that they couldn't drag race?

Rant over

As for track rentals, its up to the owner. My local track has let modded ZR1s run well into 9s / high 8s and a twin turbo coyote run 9 flat for many passes and never said a peep. But they also kicked out a 66 nova with a 540 running 10.15 coasting with no bar in it. Mileage may vary

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Private track rentals typically don't have these types of regulations in my experience. That's a bummer. Has anyone checked Atco? Sure to have good DA there.
Rich Schaefer, NHRA Div 2 Director, has his office on the grounds of Gainesville Raceway. I'd guess that that has a lot to do with that particular track taking that stance.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
I have 200 passes in my Demon
All but about 15 are off the foot brake
From a dead idle.
I'm a bracket racer.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #56
Ok, since some posts were deleted and folks were interested in the data I had copies in my email.

DRAGRCR said his Demon was 4120 race weight and he's 190 lbs so with driver 4310#.

He ran four 9.71x hot lap passes with some minor weight reduction (aftermarket wheels/tires and a lighter battery) and he figures those changes would offset his body weight compared to Leah who set the record. Looked like he was gonna beat the 9.65 on one pass based on the time slip besting the 60' and 330' he posted being a bit better than the Engineering team Demon pass, but he ran out of fuel mid track.

That actually brings up a question for me. Do Demon owners typically run their cars that low on fuel at the track? I've always been told not to ever run a Hellcat much below 1/2 tank as it'll either start to open the bypass due to low fuel pressure and you risk damaging the engine. Maybe the Demon having dual fuel pumps helps?

On a typical day the Demon HO ignition advance hits max of 18.5 degrees by 4,000 RPM. That's real early and is already 12-14 degrees by 2,880 RPM. With absolute traction it's gonna be moving, but on anything less than perfect everything you're likelihood of blowing the tires off is pretty high I'd wager. I'll be doing some testing with mine (not a Demon) here soon so we'll see. I built three tunes A,B,C and each gets just a bit hotter down low, no changes up top. Thanks to Mike@OSTDyno for the tips ;)

I'm not suggesting the calibration engineers got it "wrong". They were asked to meet a specific performance target and that's what they aimed for. That target just seems to require absolute perfection for track setup, etc. It'd have been really cool if they offered the race PCM with three cals (hot hotter hottest) so you guys could adjust for track conditions.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
They offer only two.
You need 100 octane.
Then You have either option at push of a button.
840 tune advances timing by 8 degrees.

Attachments

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
I guess if you count the economy mode
That's 3.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #59
Looks like the advance is variable, but in some spots 8 degrees, others it's as much as 14.

I get your point, but imagine if you had a tune that kept the max above say 4,000 RPM but softened a bit below 4,000.....kinda a hybrid between 800 and 840 to help get off the line. That's kinda what I'm talking about.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
To answer your question about Demon owners running their fuel tanks so low they out of gas, the answer is generally No. Ron was within spitting distance of matching the SRT 9.65 so he was taking a gamble running it light on a three pass hot lap stint to try to match or better it. Unfortunately, he didn’t make a full pass on the final run.