Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Stock trans are stout if tuned it correctly. @zhc set the path for me early this year and showed how we can get more out of these trans

@Linda's Hell Cat I never raced until I got a HELLCAT so I like to give back whatever I learned.

Just FYI. I change my trans fluid/filter every year as a preventive maintenance

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #422
I set my E and C clutch packs to .070
My D pack is set at .060 A pack at .060 the B pack I will leave alone , I had first thought that with every clutch I added I would have to increase the clearance by .010 but I talked to Eddie and he said they tend to set them I little tight and that so i set my packs up at the normal chart , Eddie also said that they see these units come in all the time with quite amount of clearance in the packs past the maximum allowance even though the clutches have no problems, personally I thought with the added clutches it would need the added clearance but Eddie does these a lot so I’m going to trust his input , o was also able to add an additional clutch in the A pack as well, the E , D and A packs all have the G3 clutches but in order for me to get the clearance I wanted in the C pack I had to alternate between the high energy and the G3 clutches, I spoke to alto about the use of different within the pack and they said they didn’t see it would be an issue which I personally don’t believe it either , in a stock application I wouldn’t consider it but being my car has the transmission pressure increase by the tune I’m ok with it
Either way I’ll find out very soon 👍

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm in for the results. To me this would be preventative maintenance. With the amount of abuse I put my car through it would worth it to me . Plus you never know with tight clearance and better grip it may be worth .01 lol

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #424
Alto sent me enough clutches for two units lol

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Alto sent me enough clutches for two units lol
I call dibs !

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #426
I don’t know anyone named dibs
I do know someone named debit 😂😂

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I don’t know anyone named dibs
I do know someone named debit
He is my cousin !

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #428
One things for sure with the addition of clutches, the torque capacity has risen probably as much as 45 percent in the D anC packs E and A I’d guess around 30 percent, also I’m pretty sure it also takes less pressure to complete the apply

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
One things for sure with the addition of clutches, the torque capacity has risen probably as much as 45 percent in the D anC packs E and A I’d guess around 30 percent, also I’m pretty sure it also takes less pressure to complete the apply
I have built a few transmissions in my career. I have followed this thread some but have not read all of it. The pictures of the scorched disks, and the slippage you experienced on the top end of your runs. Have you monitored the line pressure at this point to see if it was stable. As you know slippage can be caused by several things. oil pressure, leakage by seals, timing in these new machines. But I was wondering about just the old fashion problem of starvation. would it be possible at these rpm's that the oil in the pan is sucked out and the pump may be starving. A long shot probably. but at this point the trans has filled everything, except the last shift. I would want to see the line pressure at this point. May just need to run a tad bit more oil in the pan. Just thinking out loud. I know nothing about this beast. and have enjoyed seeing inside one.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I have built a few transmissions in my career. I have followed this thread some but have not read all of it. The pictures of the scorched disks, and the slippage you experienced on the top end of your runs. Have you monitored the line pressure at this point to see if it was stable. As you know slippage can be caused by several things. oil pressure, leakage by seals, timing in these new machines. But I was wondering about just the old fashion problem of starvation. would it be possible at these rpm's that the oil in the pan is sucked out and the pump may be starving. A long shot probably. but at this point the trans has filled everything, except the last shift. I would want to see the line pressure at this point. May just need to run a tad bit more oil in the pan. Just thinking out loud. I know nothing about this beast. and have enjoyed seeing inside one.
I recommended using a pressure transducer and data logging it against a run about 20 pages ago.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I guess we all know who to call now for transmission work. Hellno you might get really busy soon. I know where my trans is going if it ever needs to be worked on.;)(y)(y)

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #432
To be honest with you I didn’t check the fluid level before removal, there was no leaks but that doesn’t rule out low fluid , you need to read the thread completely to understand what I believe is the cause of the failure but other then that I haven’t found a definitive answer to the cause , sorry about the slow response unfortunately I don’t sleep well during this time of year but finally fell asleep last night

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I guess we all know who to call now for transmission work. Hellno you might get really busy soon. I know where my trans is going if it ever needs to be worked on.;)(y)(y)
I already called dibs

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I already called dibs

Ya your probably going to need him before I do. My car is too slow to have tranny problems.:cry:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ya your probably going to need him before I do. My car is too slow to have tranny problems.:cry:
Let me refer to moparjim about that and I will get back to you

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #436
Guys to be honest these transmissions are so well built that depending on your power output and how far you push them you may never need one

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #437
As I mentioned earlier in the thread I had two of the pan bolts break off when removing the pan I tried to extract them but they were seized up and I drilled and tapped them and installed helicoils, so be prepared for this possibility as well as of you pay a dealership or shop that an additional cost may be added for this service 174F61E3-CC6C-4A5D-A570-A1D38944B3F8.jpeg

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #438
Damn northerners y’all always rain (snow) on my parade , just found out apparently there was a snow storm earlier this week and now my solenoids won’t be in til Monday
😐

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@zhc gave me some great trans tuning info last night. Sharp dude.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #440
@zhc gave me some great trans tuning info last night. Sharp dude.
We’ll share the info damit 😂