Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Pretty sure those HC ZF8 transmissions are built in Mexico https://www.zf.com/mobile/en/compan...de/north_america/mexico_locations/mexico.html). Germans can engineer things all they want, but if you don't follow the specs this is what you get. I'd be willing to be that other high-end (and not just over priced) luxury cars that get the ZF 8s are more tightly built.

EDIT - NM, looks like they are assembled in the US:

Chrysler Group LLC initially received the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF plant in Saarbrucken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF had set up a new transmission production plant in Gray Court, South Carolina.[7] ZF Friedrichshafen and Chrysler Group have reached a supply and license agreement for the 8HP. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Kokomo Transmission Plant and the Kokomo Casting plant, production began in 2013. This transmission is marketed by Chrysler under their own brand name, the Torqueflite 8.[8][9]

2nd generation 8HP products were released starting in 2014. Efficiency improvements over the original design include a wider ratio spread of 7.8:1, reduced drag torque from the shift elements, reduction in required oil pump pressure, and broadened use of the coasting and start-stop systems.[10] ZF estimated fuel economy improvement over 1st generation 8HP kits to be 3%. Refinements were also made with respect to vibration.

3rd generation 8HP products were released starting in 2018. Major improvements are total spread of 8.6 and a fuel economy improvement of 2.5% compared to the 2nd generation. There are several options in maximum torque available, also the gearbox is available with mild hybrid and plug in hybrid options: With 15 kW and 200 NM supporting boosting and recuperation in combination with 48 Volt technology up to 90 kw and 250 NM for usage with higher voltage. [11]

Last edited:
OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #402
WELL YALL DONT HAVE TO WORRY IT WILL NOW BE ASSEMBLED IN THE GOOD OLE USA 👍😃🇺🇸

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Pretty sure those HC ZF8 transmissions are built in Mexico https://www.zf.com/mobile/en/compan...de/north_america/mexico_locations/mexico.html). Germans can engineer things all they want, but if you don't follow the specs this is what you get. I'd be willing to be that other high-end (and not just over priced) luxury cars that get the ZF 8s are more tightly built.
I thought engines were Mexico, tranny's were Germany? Except Demons and Redeyes; engines USA and tranny's Germany. You really think they hold different tolerances on diff vehicles with ZF8's. Hmmm interesting thought.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I thought engines were Mexico, tranny's were Germany? Except Demons and Redeyes; engines USA and tranny's Germany. You really think they hold different tolerances on diff vehicles with ZF8's. Hmmm interesting thought.
Edited my original post with more accurate information. I do believe you are correct about the engines being done in Mexico (more lax environmental standards for casting procedures equally a better quality output). FCA is licensed by ZF to produce their own transmissions and therefore will have the responsibility of implementing and adhering to their own production line standards. Things built in Europe (Germany) will have their own unique processes and standards (QC and QA). My brother has a role in the US transmission production, and without devulging too much information, much of the time workers are the problem when it comes to respecting process.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Screw cradle bushing work I pay my tech to do the hard stuff I only do the fun stuff 😂😂
I understand, thought I would throw it out, I was being funny. You would think it was a bit chilly up here. I'll take it to the same guy at a good dealer who has done a few now and worked a lot on the rear of my '15. I like him.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have read before and always thought the HP90 is made in Germany. My sticker says Germany. The sticker also accurately says Engine: Mexico right above it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wait, they're supposed to measure between .054 - .089 inches and yours was .110? So like almost double?

For those interested in frying their brain, here's a good thread over on the HPT forum about the transmission tuning. I think Steven must be their transmission calibration engineer.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?81943-ZF8-shift-pressures-and-timing-for-Steven-HP

Cliff Notes:
Increasing shift pressure and reducing shift time are positive things in terms of performance and performance "feel" but you have to insure they're inline so as not to burn up the trans.

Last edited:

Marc0779

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Key largo
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye/demon
APARENTYLY THESE TRANSMISSIONS HAVE FAILED MORE OFTEN THEN WE HINK BECAUSE SINCE I STARTED ON MINE I HAVE FOUND SEVERAL WHO ARE ON 2ND OR 3RD THRANSMISSIONS IN THEIR CARS AND IT SEEMS TO BE THE HIGH HORSPOWER ONES ,ID LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HERE HAS EXPERIENCE THE BREAKAGE OF THE OUTPUT SHAFT AND IF SO DID IT REAK ON THE LAUNCH OR ON THE SHIFT ?? IVE HEARD ABOUT THIS HAPPENING
My car wheelhop on launch

Attachments

Marc0779

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Key largo
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye/demon

Attachments

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Where are the clutches manufactured? Doesn't matter where the Chinese parts are assembled if there are flaws in the parts.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #412
My car lots of runs last year 930 rwtq
Holy crap snapping the output shaft and breaking the e clutch damn
When you have wheel hop and the tires grip and let go and grip again the shock travels right up the gear train
We see that same stuff happen on tje Deisel trucks where they spin the tires and then get traction wipes out output shafts and reaks havoc throughout the entire assembly

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #413
The clutches and steels came in today I’m in process of building the c d and e packs so far I’ve went from 5to 7 clutches in the D pack and 7 to 9 clutches in the C pack I’ll be working on the E clutch pack next 6030A2E3-7692-40E2-B779-82ED4C6F0CFE.jpeg 82B38EBC-0110-4EEB-990A-FF77D7B0E9DC.jpeg

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
The clutches and steels came in today I’m in process of building the c d and e packs so far I’ve went from 5to 7 clutches in the D pack and 7 to 9 clutches in the C pack I’ll be working on the E clutch pack next View attachment 7975 View attachment 7976
No slipping allowed!

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #415

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
When I can I book my appointment!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #417
When I can I book my appointment!

Why that pussycat of yours barely spins the tires 😂

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well, back on the road yet? C'mon man chop chop.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #419
I’m still waiting on solenoids and bolts

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Do you have all the clutch back together ?
When you assemble them do you install then at the min. Spec so when they seat in they are still on the tight side for less slipping?