Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Redeye has ticking sound?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
It's definately from the right rear. It's not brakes or a seat belt issue. It's more of a pulsing sound then a ticking sound. One suggestion from a friend was it's one of the two fuel pumps. Somethings not right and I'm not letting it go.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
You don't hear this little tick at what seems like just under/behind the passenger seat, just at idle for me? Otherwise mine is perfect, I am not so sure we are even describing a problem. So many describe it, it seems normal to me now. I heard it the first time I sat in it because it was a different sound than my '15.

Listen to your sound and see if it is coming off the front disks at slow speeds' Eric. Normal.
To be honest, I’m still getting used to all the different little noises this car makes compared to my Scat Pack. As far as my tick or knock, it seems like it’s almost always on the left side, from right behind me or the front from what seems to be the disc brake. I dunno. Car runs awesome though!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
It's definately from the right rear. It's not brakes or a seat belt issue. It's more of a pulsing sound then a ticking sound. One suggestion from a friend was it's one of the two fuel pumps. Somethings not right and I'm not letting it go.
In my experience fuel pumps seem to whirr/whine or hum more than click. I feel like I can notice the sound of mine if I listen for it. Should kind of be expected, these are more race cars than street cars.

Hemituner

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bayshore
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I really thought the exhaust pulses were nailing the flapper, but it is only on the right side my ear says. You blew that little theory away. When I read @Hemituner is also stumped, I am good with it! I say it is some sort of a "normal" idle exhaust characteristic, since some many have it it both the RE and Demon.
Its for sure in the right rear. Its more pronounced with the rear seats down. I know where it is coming from just want to put my hands on the part. For sure my 2019 Hellcat is not doing it. Im on the hunt!
Thanks
AJ

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Its for sure in the right rear. Its more pronounced with the rear seats down. I know where it is coming from just want to put my hands on the part. For sure my 2019 Hellcat is not doing it. Im on the hunt!
Thanks
AJ
My 2015 Hellcat never does this but my 2019 Redeye Challenger has done it since day one. It’s driving me crazy.
Any help greatly appreciated.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Guys, I have to be honest, my car makes a whole symphony of sounds, clicking, whirring, spinning, more clicking of different kinds...

Hell I've even got this weird "spin down sound" on occasion when I shut the car off after the engine has stopped that I've never figured out, I swear it's the supercharger disconnected from the pulley going for a couple of extra revolutions, but I'm told that's not possible (and I mostly agree).

So, tell me again, which of these sounds are we talking about???

:oops:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Mine makes a ticking sound on the left side on cold start, sounds like an exhaust header leak. fades out when the engine warms up. I'm normally so tuned in to the rear exhaust note, that I don't pay it any attention.

OP
Scott
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sheboygan
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #48
Mine makes a ticking sound on the left side on cold start, sounds like an exhaust header leak. fades out when the engine warms up. I'm normally so tuned in to the rear exhaust note, that I don't pay it any attention.
Again, my 2016 hellcat did not have it.
My new 2019 Redeye ticks. I noticed it right away at idle, not moving, in garage or outside. pass side rear. Could be passenger side fuel pump area or under passenger side trunk liner. Or like AJ said under rear passenger wheel well liner. Has anyone have there's out?
I can't believe some Redeye owners can't here it sitting in drivers seat listening to passenger back seat area.

OP
Scott
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sheboygan
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #49
Again, my 2016 hellcat did not have it.
My new 2019 Redeye ticks. I noticed it right away at idle, not moving, in garage or outside. pass side rear. Could be passenger side fuel pump area or under passenger side trunk liner. Or like AJ said under rear passenger wheel well liner. Has anyone have there's out?
I can't believe some Redeye owners can't here it sitting in drivers seat listening to passenger back seat area.
Maybe battery area!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Subscribing.. My 18 Hellcat is quiet

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Guys, I have to be honest, my car makes a whole symphony of sounds, clicking, whirring, spinning, more clicking of different kinds...
It is usually when those types of sounds stop or get really loud that I start to worry. I am so used to creaks and rattles in my other cars (including the wife's Colorado) that this car sounds so tight it is disturbingly quiet to me. Until the blower noise kicks in... then I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Yeah... my 15 HC Charger has it.

Can only hear it, inside the cabin, at lower RPM... but it speeds up & slows down, with RPM.

...and yes, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, near the firewall.

@DodgeCares ever hear of this?

Bob
Riverside, California
Hi Diboblo, I completely understand your concerns and frustration. If after your Hellcat is fully warmed up and you are still hearing a ticking sound; we kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
@DodgeCares

Rob, we can't be the only people who are hearing this sound. Can you disclose what reports the dealers have seen, and what the manufacturer has determined? Normal sound or is there something to this?

Like so many others, we cannot point to any problem except a sound most of us did not hear from a Hellcat but manifests itself in Redeye's and some Demons. For me, I believe it is just a normal character of the system, but even with so many knowing so much, we cannot determine the source of the sound. That is frustrating to many of us whom have worked on so many vehicles and other things mechanical. I believe when and if we can define the source and if it is really normal, we will all go away and be happy.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Maybe check the exhaust valve on that side...could be bad spring or something loose that allows it to rattle a little...reaching for possibilities, couldn't hurt to check.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I do also have the same sound, closest as to stonewall stated. sounds like left bank exhaust leak ticking like the exhaust vale closing hard, attenuated through exhaust manifold leak it subsides when starts to warm up. It drove me insane. now from this thread its has me on the hunt again. I did not have this sound on 17 m6 Cat.
Specific to RE ? I must admit the first time I noticed it the clock registered about 1,700 miles and all kinds of dark scary shit instantly went through the cabeza.

Jalenator

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Max Steel Hellcat RedEye
My RE also has this ticking sound, passenger side, somewhere around or near the back of the passenger seat. Most noticeable from inside the car. Glad to learn I'm not the only one that hears it, I was beginning to wonder if I'm just losing my mind...

Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak tick and I get a few drops of condensation on the garage floor in about that place on cold starts.

I was planning to ask my tech to check for an exhaust leak at its first service in the spring. It drives me a little nuts, especially since, as others have noted, my '16 HC doesn't do it.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
My RE also has this ticking sound, passenger side, somewhere around or near the back of the passenger seat. Most noticeable from inside the car. Glad to learn I'm not the only one that hears it, I was beginning to wonder if I'm just losing my mind...

Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak tick and I get a few drops of condensation on the garage floor in about that place on cold starts.

I was planning to ask my tech to check for an exhaust leak at its first service in the spring. It drives me a little nuts, especially since, as others have noted, my '16 HC doesn't do it.
It's not exhaust or seat belts. It's driving me crazy I swear.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks
AJ
Any chance you found the issue yet?

Hemituner

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bayshore
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Any chance you found the issue yet?
The Purge canister assembly has superseded. I have verified my 2019 Hellcat has the latest number yet my Demon has the previous number. Im going to order one tomorrow.
Thanks
AJ

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mine makes absolutely no noise,,,, unless you start it up.Have not heard that in a while. Thursday. Lots of noises.