Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The price was right so I snagged it but...

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #121
Heard from Jesse at SDG this morning. When he started disassembly the head of the bolt holding the rotor coupler in place snapped off when he put a socket on it. Same as the snout side did to me. So that's BOTH bolt heads snapped off. He said a lot of the superchargers he fixes have this happen and not a huge deal. He checked tolerances and rotor timing and everything looked perfect.

However, when he started to remove the rotors, he described them as "welded" to the bearing plate and it sounded like the bearing plate had some compromise in it as well. I'm not sure exactly what "welded" means, but he said it was a significant problem. The snout shaft was also in a "welded" state and had a twist or something to it. Jesse said this was very abnormal and would indicate a hard stop event likely at a decent amount of RPM.

The biggest problem is the rotors welding themselves to the bearing plate. His 8 ton press wouldn't separate them and he said it could get labor intensive to get them apart, which wasn't included in the standard rebuild fee, which I understand. He offered some options that could save a few bucks but if I'm gonna run this blower I want it better than new.

He has a set of brand new rotors on the shelf so I bought those for $800 instead of putting labor in to the originals. It'll need a new snout shaft, $125 which I was already planning for based on what I saw. The only thing he has continually recommended is the billet bearing plate. Until now I had declined, but since I'm gonna need something there we worked out a deal on one of those. He said it should allow for lower aircharge temps since the blower wouldn't be working so hard to pull in air, so we'll see.

Shockingly I'm still below the 50% of Whipple budget, but it's close. Says I could have it back early next week but I told him not to rush. I'm not swapping it until after Moparty.

20220709_212205.jpg

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You need to get one of their big snouts and skip the ported one

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #123
SDG doesn't do ported snouts anymore. He said those are problematic so their large cast unit is the only one they offer.

I didn't even really want to go as far as the billet bearing plate to be honest. It just kinda became a necessity. I'm wondering if I'll have to dial back my shift RPM etc to not over run my fuel system at this point. One small upgrade can end up needing a bunch of supporting stuff unfortunately, and I'm good running in my little 10.00 classes. Jesse said the car is going to run way past that now so I'll have some work to do setting it all back up.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Damn, the car's running too fast, what an awful turn of events :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Sounds like you and I will have to line up for a race this fall :) Sounds like it could be a close one.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #126
Damn, the car's running too fast, what an awful turn of events :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:LOL: Going to the track for a PB is one thing, but that 10.00 class has been a sweet spot for me. I spent a lot of time making the car run exactly that number. Hopefully the previous experience will make it a bit easier this go around.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
:LOL: Going to the track for a PB is one thing, but that 10.00 class has been a sweet spot for me. I spent a lot of time making the car run exactly that number. Hopefully the previous experience will make it a bit easier this go around.
You'll be bleeding off boost now if you want to go 10.0. Next week @vortecd and I are making our NHRA licensing passes you may want to join us :ROFLMAO:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Now you can go for the 9.5 class. I will be aiming for 10.0 for my 3 run average at NMCA but after that it is as fast as I can go:)

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #129
I'm considering moving up to the 9.5 class but historically there haven't been very many cars in that at the events I've attended, and it's moved away from the DOT tire, and stuff like that I think? Been a while since I looked as I couldn't get there.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I think I would have went with the Whipple better blower but that's just me..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I agree, but if Speedy can pull off a fresh 2.7L IHI for half the cost of a Whipple, I think that's a great upgrade

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #132
Exactly. This wasn't an either or excercise. It was could I get a better than new 2.7 blower for half the cost of a gen V Whipple. I didn't need or even really want an upgrade it just kinda happened.

What I didn't want was $4-5K in a 2.7 supercharger so I set my budget at $3250 all in which was about half what I saw Whipples for sale. May be higher now with everything else.

I'm still well below $3250 but the rotors were an unexpected expense.

Now I'm noodling on pulleys. With that billet bearing plate I'm worried the 2.72 pulley will be too much. I don't wanna go over 20psi.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Exactly. This wasn't an either or excercise. It was could I get a better than new 2.7 blower for half the cost of a gen V Whipple. I didn't need or even really want an upgrade it just kinda happened.

What I didn't want was $4-5K in a 2.7 supercharger so I set my budget at $3250 all in which was about half what I saw Whipples for sale. May be higher now with everything else.

I'm still well below $3250 but the rotors were an unexpected expense.

Now I'm noodling on pulleys. With that billet bearing plate I'm worried the 2.72 pulley will be too much. I don't wanna go over 20psi.
I think you'll be seeing more than 20 psi with the 2.72.
Attached is a log of dialing in injectors. 2.85 upper and 10 percent lower, stock blower, stock snout, and stock throttle body. Weather was in the low 80s. I need to add ambient temps to my logs. As you see at 6600 rpm im over 22psi

Attachments

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Speedster,
Dosen't seem like you are in a huge hurry,,,, unless
you are out for resale. Unlike myself. I am in a hurry. Less than
a week from a heart attack and a blood stroke. I was back in the H/C doing burn outs. Before I die,, I aaaaaaaaaaaaaam going to sea wat this car can do. Out of warranty this month, so spend the rest of my monies. 65 too young to die. 6 speed difficult.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #135
I may need to drop back to a 2.85 maybe even 3.1.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I may need to drop back to a 2.85 maybe even 3.1.
If you decide you want to go grip tech let me know.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #137
Not in to fixed pulleys on these IHI blowers. If it were a Whipple absolutely and I'd prefer being able to have a street setup and a track setup but I'm gonna have to compromise on that. The 2.72 Litens on my 2.4 has been a great setup. Right on the edge for 93 and fantastic with flex and E85.

I keep going back and forth on the pulley setup. It'll likely be a game time decision. HPIndy says he makes 20psi on his 2.7 blower with a 2.85 upper and 10% lower, but his cam may be helping there. 2.85 upper and 10% lower is spinning the supercharger almost 1000rpm more than my 2.72 will but you nor he have the billet bearing plate which will be a variable. That was another reason I wasn't going to get it. It's gonna let more air in which will compress more, etc.

With a 6500 rpm shift:
My 2.72 will be spinning the blower at 19,547 RPM.
A 2.85 would be 18,656.
A 2.85 +10% lower is 20,480.

Multiply male rotor by 1.66 on above if you want critical speeds.

I may be obsessing over something that doesn't really matter. I tend to do that sometimes :LOL: I can slap the 2.72 on there and see what happens and change it if needed, but it'll be a lot easier of a job before the blower is on the car.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Well then how about this when you end up needing bigger injectors let me know 😂😂😂 kind of kidding. I think the 1300s will be fine for you if the pumps keep up.
either way you are going to be at a weird combo here.
I know @white1 ran a 2.75 on his 2.7 maybe he can share some logs to get an idea of what it looked like.
im curious what the plate does without a different throttle body or snout work. You may not see much of a gain. But I have no idea.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #139
Jesse said he worked with a Trackhawk customer who did things in stages. The guy added his larger cast snout and picked up almost nothing. He then went back and had the billet bearing plate put in with stock throttle body and picked up 65rwhp. Finally put the cast bigger snout back on and picked up another 35rwhp. He basically said the snout and bearing plate are designed to work together but I'd see a decent gain with just the plate. I don't know the pulley setup on the Trackhawk though and that might matter.

I think @16GoManGoHC2 tested some of this in his thread but I can't remember if he had a throttle body, snout, and plate, or just plate at the time. I'm remember 50rwhp.

There's a guy on the other forum with almost my exact setup. 2.7 blower on a Hellcat engine, SDG bearing plate, SDG cast snout, and 109mm TB. He's saying his dual pumps and injectors are good. Curt's tuning. I've asked him for a log to see how it looks aircharge wise so I'll have a better idea.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Jesse said he worked with a Trackhawk customer who did things in stages. The guy added his larger cast snout and picked up almost nothing. He then went back and had the billet bearing plate put in with stock throttle body and picked up 65rwhp. Finally put the cast bigger snout back on and picked up another 35rwhp. He basically said the snout and bearing plate are designed to work together but I'd see a decent gain with just the plate. I don't know the pulley setup on the Trackhawk though and that might matter.

I think @16GoManGoHC2 tested some of this in his thread but I can't remember if he had a throttle body, snout, and plate, or just plate at the time. I'm remember 50rwhp.

There's a guy on the other forum with almost my exact setup. 2.7 blower on a Hellcat engine, SDG bearing plate, SDG cast snout, and 109mm TB. He's saying his dual pumps and injectors are good. Curt's tuning. I've asked him for a log to see how it looks aircharge wise so I'll have a better idea.
curt tuning may not be full potential so he is getting by:unsure: