Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The sky is falling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Both great cars. Have owned both and great.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Semantics.

Some, not all.

My points irrefutably stand (at this stage) regarding greed and market saturation.
No wonder you follow the Devils...neither one of you made any points yesterday...semantics has nothing to do with any of this.....

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I remember when I NEVER saw another Challenger on the road. Now I see 2-3 on the drive to work each day. Good times.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
demon providing fca doesn't make it anymore will be a collectors dream 20 years from now in my opinion ,I believe they will double or triple there value

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I believe, based on nothing but gut feeling, that once the hype of the C8 corvette subsides prices will stabilize. Or not. As I have said before a car is only worth what someone will pay on a given day. No matter the value, the Demon remains one hell of a car!
Have you driven yours yet?

OP

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Thread Starter #166
No. I am currently dealing with a number of other toys. And this coming Monday I go in for a total hip replacement so the Demon will most likely sit until spring. Truth be told I don't have any pressing reason to drive the car. Maybe a case of the wanting being better than the having. I had planned on scheduling the car for the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson but after Las Vegas sales results #0032 will be sitting in its man cave for awhile. I have no urgency to sell the car as life will not change if the car is in my garage or sold. It does make great garage art! So long story short, eventually the car will be sold as are most other vehicles. Not sure if I will drive it before sending it down the road or not. All depends on what life brings and how bored I become. Now aren't you glad you asked!?!

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
No. I am currently dealing with a number of other toys. And this coming Monday I go in for a total hip replacement so the Demon will most likely sit until spring. Truth be told I don't have any pressing reason to drive the car. Maybe a case of the wanting being better than the having. I had planned on scheduling the car for the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson but after Las Vegas sales results #0032 will be sitting in its man cave for awhile. I have no urgency to sell the car as life will not change if the car is in my garage or sold. It does make great garage art! So long story short, eventually the car will be sold as are most other vehicles. Not sure if I will drive it before sending it down the road or not. All depends on what life brings and how bored I become. Now aren't you glad you asked!?!
Good luck with the surgery. A buddy had his done four or five years ago and said he wished he had done it five years earlier.

OP

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Thread Starter #168
Thanks. Appreciate it. Old age is not for sissies but the alternative really sucks!

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
So many people have such hyped up unlimited faith in the future of cars as portrayed by a company that has yet to be profitable after staying afloat somehow for so long (Tesla), and the big auto companies that have also not been able to sell Electric cars in mass quantities....In my mind the future is no more clear today than 20 years ago....

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
So many people have such hyped up unlimited faith in the future of cars as portrayed by a company that has yet to be profitable after staying afloat somehow for so long (Tesla), and the big auto companies that have also not been able to sell Electric cars in mass quantities....In my mind the future is no more clear today than 20 years ago....
20 years ago I wanted to go down to Houston and learn to build race engines. I was 20 years old and did a year of college but was just tired of school at that point.

A couple of good friends back then (real liberals and still are) kept talking about peak oil and how gas powered cars would be extinct and going to a stupid trade school like that would be a waste.

10 years later we had a 660HP Shelby GT500, a 580hp Camaro ZL1, 480hp 392 Hemi Challenger, a 628hp ZR1 and rumors of MORE HP to come. 20 years later well, 840hp Demon on race gas, 797hp on pump, 760hp coming, 755hp Vette, 650hp is now laughed at.

Peak oil never hit. The electric car craze never came (still hasn't). And to this day i still regret not taking that one year when i had 0 people depending on me and nothing to my name except a small car payment.

The electric car hype is around because the government wanted it when bailing out the auto industry in 2008. But those cars even today are still too damn expensive and the alternatives are just better.

The Audi E-Tron sold all of 435 units for the quarter or year (can't remember don't care its a sh*t number either way) but the Q7 nicely equipped is about the same money and Audi moves about 30,000 of them a year!
Gas is cheap almost every where and $145/barrel of oil isn't coming back anytime soon.

CO2 emissions from the US from 2006 to 2017 is DOWN!!!

So yeah, i get pretty skeptical when i hear stuff about saving the environment. I like the potential that some electrics and hybrids have but im looking a P1s and 918s being trickled down to cars and NOT a Prius.

When the EV can fully replace the gas powered car meaning as cheap to own, cheap to refill/recharge, ease to refill/recharge, and affordable without government incentives, THEN they will start to move the market. I can see it being another 20 years.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I honestly thought hydrogen would be the next big thing to power cars. Cars basically worked the same with a bit different fill up procedure but not much different. Emission is water.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
I honestly thought hydrogen would be the next big thing to power cars. Cars basically worked the same with a bit different fill up procedure but not much different. Emission is water.
If you ignore economics, I suppose both electric cars (batteries and hydrogen fuel cell) make sense, but hydrogen combustion engine makes even more sense than either....but alas....silly economics can't be overthrown!

Economically Battery cars are the lowest, followed closely by the Hydrogen car (both iterations). The reason Hydrogen cars are uneconomical is the shear cost of Hydrogen gas. Either split water (Super duper energy intensive, produces much less energy in fuel than what it takes to split it), or break off hydrogen from natural gas, also a hugely losing proposition.....running the cars on natural gas makes much more sense than hydrogen fuel......much lower cost and nowhere near the energy drop. But with gas as cheap as it is, even that is not nearly as economical as it looked when gas was up over $3....but compared to Diesel it might be competitive....there are still lots of big truck fleets powered by CNG.

Markets only change when something is Better, Cheaper, More Convenient, shear necessity etc. Nobody is going to pay double for something that is almost as good as what its replacing....Economics is what drives decision making more than anything else....Electric cars have a huge economics problem that may never be overcome

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Redeye is an amazing second choice! Not just because of the drive train but because of the fact it is a "street friendly" Demon sibling and I would suspect most buyers are into street manners and not necessarily quarter mile drag strip racing
A Redeye is not an amazing second choice to me. It's an excellent first choice, I think.

When looking for a Hellcat a bit over a year ago, I was surprised to come across Demons advertised at MSRP.
Not that I verified that they actually could be bought for those advertised prices. Why? Because I had no interest in buying one. And still don't.

Based on what I know about Demons, the Hellcat is a much better car for me. I like going fast, and fast around corners. And I couldn't care less about 1/4-mile times. Or even 0-60 times.
Instead I do 60-120 (or more, depending on the circumstances) runs every now and then. If memory serves me, a Demon wouldn't even go as fast as I did in my Hellcat a couple of days ago.

This doesn't meant that I hate Demons, just that I have no desire to own one.

Roostking

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 SRT 8 Challenger 392 6M
wow...this platform since model year 15...could have sold over 300,000 units?...that's astounding...that's an amazing number of challengers on the roads...makes one wonder just how many more can they sell of this format....that's quite a run...
Its been the same Challenger platform since 2008, just interior/exterior refreshes.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Its been the same Challenger platform since 2008, just interior/exterior refreshes.
yikes...add another 200,000 plus...guess everbodys got one...lol

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
If you ignore economics, I suppose both electric cars (batteries and hydrogen fuel cell) make sense, but hydrogen combustion engine makes even more sense than either....but alas....silly economics can't be overthrown!

Economically Battery cars are the lowest, followed closely by the Hydrogen car (both iterations). The reason Hydrogen cars are uneconomical is the shear cost of Hydrogen gas. Either split water (Super duper energy intensive, produces much less energy in fuel than what it takes to split it), or break off hydrogen from natural gas, also a hugely losing proposition.....running the cars on natural gas makes much more sense than hydrogen fuel......much lower cost and nowhere near the energy drop. But with gas as cheap as it is, even that is not nearly as economical as it looked when gas was up over $3....but compared to Diesel it might be competitive....there are still lots of big truck fleets powered by CNG.

Markets only change when something is Better, Cheaper, More Convenient, shear necessity etc. Nobody is going to pay double for something that is almost as good as what its replacing....Economics is what drives decision making more than anything else....Electric cars have a huge economics problem that may never be overcome
Really good points and back in the 80s and early 90s I worked in the oil industry. I initially was a truck tanker driver, management and then Commercial Fuel Sales. The Green Agenda is such a political play that it’s hard to listen to. There are so many things never shared with the followers and radical believers. The biggest thing that is never ever talked about with the Green jar heads is tax revenues. The oil industry creates trillions of dollars of wealth to the World Governments of the world. In the good old USA a gallon of gas has roughly .50 cents tax. And that’s split roughly between the State and Fed. The average gas station in this country pumps 150k per month in gallons and the Costco and mega stations sell 1 million plus gallons a month. The collected tax for one month at a Costco station is roughly $500,000.00 for just one month. Then you look at the tax charge to the oil companies to have the rights to pump off shore, tanker fees to pull into port to off load, pipe line fees, oil domestic drilling fees, trucking over the road fees, railroad fees...etc. etc..
These facts are never talked nor shared with the blind leading the blind Green Agenda. The world and this country would be broke beyond broke with out oil. The new energy will require huge taxes to continue to support the Governments of the world so in the end the Electric car may cost people more than they think and we will still have challenges of Global Warming.

Marc0779

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Key largo
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye/demon
Really good points and back in the 80s and early 90s I worked in the oil industry. I initially was a truck tanker driver, management and then Commercial Fuel Sales. The Green Agenda is such a political play that it’s hard to listen to. There are so many things never shared with the followers and radical believers. The biggest thing that is never ever talked about with the Green jar heads is tax revenues. The oil industry creates trillions of dollars of wealth to the World Governments of the world. In the good old USA a gallon of gas has roughly .50 cents tax. And that’s split roughly between the State and Fed. The average gas station in this country pumps 150k per month in gallons and the Costco and mega stations sell 1 million plus gallons a month. The collected tax for one month at a Costco station is roughly $500,000.00 for just one month. Then you look at the tax charge to the oil companies to have the rights to pump off shore, tanker fees to pull into port to off load, pipe line fees, oil domestic drilling fees, trucking over the road fees, railroad fees...etc. etc..
These facts are never talked nor shared with the blind leading the blind Green Agenda. The world and this country would be broke beyond broke with out oil. The new energy will require huge taxes to continue to support the Governments of the world so in the end the Electric car may cost people more than they think and we will still have challenges of Global Warming.
Also people dont think about charging these electric cars i am an electrical contractor these new tesla chargers are 80 amps some older homes only have 100 amps for the whole house and the infrastructure for milloins of people to plug in there 80 amp chargers at 5 pm when they get home from work is not even close to being able to handle it.we would need to redo the countries electrical grid and build new power houses to support the demand we allready have brownouts in major cities when demand is high,power companies are looking at ways to cut demand instead of investing in new infrastructure.

OP

572 savoy

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Winona
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Thread Starter #178
This thread is no longer about Demon values as was intended in my original post. That is fine by me, but perhaps the spin off topic requires a thread of it's own rather than high jacking this discussion.

Roostking

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 SRT 8 Challenger 392 6M

yikes...add another 200,000 plus...guess everbodys got one...lol
And if you really want to get technical, its the same platform since the Dodge Magnum and Charger in 2004 or 2005 lol

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
This thread is no longer about Demon values as was intended in my original post. That is fine by me, but perhaps the spin off topic requires a thread of it's own rather than high jacking this discussion.
Well its not completely a spin-off....people were saying that the "electric future" will have an impact on your Demon values....and I mentioned that I don't see a strong "electric future" so I don't think that would factor into my decision if I were going to buy a Demon....I think there is a decent chance that the car holds its value fairly well myself, just depends on what new cars come out, but think of this since the Demon came out did that impact collector pricing on other old cars? So maybe newer cars won't impact it too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.