Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

When to know to get out? I.e. sell.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If ice on the lid has caused a single blower failure, I’d like to see it.
Let me look into the library for pictures and video that I don't have.
You can do it to your car but I'm not going to with mine.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Let me look into the library for pictures and video that I don't have.
You can do it to your car but I'm not going to with mine.
Just saying, it’s never happened and hundreds of guys have iced their lids in the pits and continue to do so. If the tolerances were so tight that their different expansion rates would cause problems when you ice the lid, they’d fail as they get hot too, but they don’t.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Just saying, it’s never happened and hundreds of guys have iced their lids in the pits and continue to do so. If the tolerances were so tight that their different expansion rates would cause problems when you ice the lid, they’d fail as they get hot too, but they don’t.
As I stated earlier. You do things your way and I'll do mine the fantasy way...

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
just wondering why there are alot of blowers for sale with rotor damage? Almost everyone I see requires new coatings on the edges....

Just wondering why I see so many of them with the rotor edges wiped out? Just saw another one for sale

No one says what happened thou.....

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
just wondering why there are alot of blowers for sale with rotor damage? Almost everyone I see requires new coatings on the edges....

Just wondering why I see so many of them with the rotor edges wiped out? Just saw another one for sale

Heat does come into play from high IAT’s so cooling off the blowers by icing the lid may help the engine make more power from a cooler air charge but it does little to cool the blower lobes and yes they grow and clearance between the rotors diminish and the first thing that starts touching is the rotor tips in the valleys of the opposing rotor, that’s why the tips loose their coating first. Here’s what the clearance looks like in a properly timed blower, about .006” per side, that doesn’t change a whole lot on the sides of the lines when the rotors get hot but their OD’s do grow, on both, and that’s why the tips start touching the valleys first and the coating starts getting chipped off.
EEC23019-275A-456A-B49A-AAA5FA1E2B38.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black

Most people blame overspinning the blower, or using an un-clutched pulley, which stresses the blower on decel.