Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Winter time is here in Wisconsin. Must read

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
It’s awesome I just hate the turbos under the car. Rocks /sand/dirt on the turn down. Idk, asking for trouble imo

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #22
It’s awesome I just hate the turbos under the car. Rocks /sand/dirt on the turn down. Idk, asking for trouble imo
You put them lower front were fog lights would be same concept

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My question with the under car mounted turbos is the intake side of the turbo. I don’t see the small filters used there flowing enough air to not be restrictive enough to limit hp. We saw 70whp gain by replacing the huge conical air filter we were using on the Whipple with a open bell. I suspect that to get the dyno numbers that the Hellion/Cornerstone guys are advertising, they are probably doing that without the filters. Not possible in the real world without risking debris damage with that turbo placement. I would be looking at routing air intake tubing from the front of the turbos to a cold air spot higher up in the front of the car. Even possibly the hood. I’m even thinking a rear facing spot under the hood using the high pressure area off the windshield. Like how a cowel hood works for carb cars.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #24
My question with the under car mounted turbos is the intake side of the turbo. I don’t see the small filters used there flowing enough air to not be restrictive enough to limit hp. We saw 70whp gain by replacing the huge conical air filter we were using on the Whipple with an open bell. I suspect that to get the dyno numbers that the Hellion/Cornerstone guys are advertising, they are probably doing that without the filters. Not possible in the real world without risking debris damage with that turbo placement. I would be looking at routing air intake tubing from the front of the turbos to a cold air spot higher up in the front of the car. Even possibly the hood. I’m even thinking a rear facing spot under the hood using the high pressure area off the windshield. Like how a cowel hood works for carb cars.
One would think at track no filter street use filter.
No difference than the red eye set up you posted facing the front can get something in it.

heat is a big concern with under car

at the end of the day if it goes constantly 7.90’s I’m happy

RGPIII

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm interested to see this thing make a pass faster than what the potential was for your 3.8 Whipple. In the hellcat platform turbos have not proven themselves other than dyno numbers without a Th400 trans and trans brake, with an aftermarket ECU. Making it a full on race car.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My concern would be more about driving back on the return road or in the pits. Those areas at some tracks are horrible. Just look at what’s stuck to the rear tires after a drive down the return road back to the pit. At least behind the bumper, the turbos are forward of the dust and debris that the front tires might be kicking up on the return road. Another question is where you are exhausting the waste gates. They pretty much have to point away from anything that’s a part of the car because they’re shooting fire. Unless it’s out the sides, it’s down. When down, they are creating a debris storm under the car. Just some thoughts.

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #27
I'm interested to see this thing make a pass faster than what the potential was for your 3.8 Whipple. In the hellcat platform turbos have not proven themselves other than dyno numbers without a Th400 trans and trans brake, with an aftermarket ECU. Making it a full on race car.
If it don’t work I have every kind of supercharger for a hellcat I’m covered

not many have changed cam and converter to work with turbos either to be fair

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
All good questions. Being smaller turbos (and two of them) they may spool up enough to get the car moving without being on the 2-step/brake. Turbo technology has improved a lot in the last couple years. Footbraking it will definitely require a proper converter to get the sweet spot doing that. I’m looking forward to seeing it get done if the info is shared for others to use. Wasn’t somebody working on a button activated trans brake for the hp?

Last edited:
OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #29
All good questions. Being smaller turbos (and two of them) they may spool up enough to get the car moving without being on the 2-step/brake. Footbraking it will definitely require a proper converter to get the sweet spot doing that. I’m looking forward to seeing it get done if the info is shared for others to use. Wasn’t somebody working on a button activated trans brake for the hp?
Trans brake would be nice.
And if anyone knows me I don’t keep things secret want everyone to enjoy their cars

RGPIII

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
All good questions. Being smaller turbos (and two of them) they may spool up enough to get the car moving without being on the 2-step/brake. Footbraking it will definitely require a proper converter to get the sweet spot doing that. I’m looking forward to seeing it get done if the info is shared for others to use. Wasn’t somebody working on a button activated trans brake for the hp?

I believe they were but not sure it has worked properly without destroying components.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Jim has a converter already that may work. Starting with it will be on the lower end of the stall needed. So if it doesn’t work he will go up from there. If you see me and Jim’s texts the last 2 weeks it has mostly been about cams. In reality these two turbos are pretty smalll if he was going for a 74 or bigger may be a different story. These new precisions are supposed to spool even quicker. Also one thing with people with turbos and hellcats it’s typically their first turbo car. Jim’s been doing turbos forever so he isn’t new to them like most. I think that will be a big advantage

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I believe they were but not sure it has worked properly without destroying components.
We know a transbrake works by engaging reverse while in a forward gear at the same time. They did it with the Demon but had a bunch of pcm controlled nonsense going on that made it not practical at the track. Didn’t they do something to make that better in the new 170? I think the hope for turbos still being “street” cars is the new Holley piggyback Terminator that is coming out in the future. Engine control without getting rid of the street car stuff.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Those tubing parts look to be 3D printed??

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #34
They are a tool you can buy to get everything correct before welding

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Idk the turn down at my track is a gravel pit. That would go right into the turbos

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #36
Well more winter fun. Need to make sure friends hit their goals also. IMG_7422.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
They can be used for header mock up as well. Super handy. Pick your OD and order some bends!

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I look forward to having a TT build on the forum. I think the closest we’ve had was @FFBOS, but I think the turbos were an afterthought and whatever happened with the car, I don’t know, but the new owner isn’t here I don’t think (https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/2016-twin-turbo-hellcat-charger-1400-hp.11109/#post-258800)
Turbos work. Not sure you high HP guys are out of air, given the ample supercharger selection we have, but controlling it seems to be a problem. Hoping Dave can get the HP90 to work at this level and meet expectations because if we can get a brake and a TC that gets a TT car into the 7s… that’ll help a lot of stock motor guys get into the 8s.
As far as debris in the turbo… you don’t really need full blown filters, there are less restrictive options. The power you lose is related to the air you require. The nice thing about twins (and not a single inlet PD blower) is you get twice the filter area… with the same air demand. Your compressor housings dictate how big of an inlet you can get but the filter in front of it is limited only by your imagination.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ll award 1000 good karma points if someone discloses what they do with the bypass that isn’t letting it flop around in the engine bay

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #40
I’ll award 1000 good karma points if someone discloses what they do with the bypass that isn’t letting it flop around in the engine bay
You can lengthen the wires and a
Make a mount for it it Alex is working on a way to get rid of it all together