Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

When to know to get out? I.e. sell.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
I always like to ask, if you sell, then what’s next? Grass is always greener, but perhaps some here have experiences with what you’d be eyeing next.
Not another performance Mopar that's for sure. I outright own the car and don't need the money so that's not it. I just wanted a fast car and I thought I put it all together correctly, synced with the right people and here I am just not happy with it. Logs look great, nothing mechanically wrong with the car. Tune is locked so I can't up timing or fuel and I have to accept that as that is the contract I have right now.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not another performance Mopar that's for sure. I outright own the car and don't need the money so that's not it. I just wanted a fast car and I thought I put it all together correctly, synced with the right people and here I am just not happy with it. Logs look great, nothing mechanically wrong with the car. Tune is locked so I can't up timing or fuel and I have to accept that as that is the contract I have right now.

While it would require more money presumably, would an unlocked tune from another shop change your thinking?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
100% apologize, 2.72 hellraiser, running 17lbs of boost. Once again apologize.
Well that changes things .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
If it was a 9 sec car would you keep it?

Seems like you've put a lot of work in to give up now. If you're done with the car, I get it, but if it just requires a little more to get there then I'd see it through.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
While it would require more money presumably, would an unlocked tune from another shop change your thinking?
It would not, I am over it kinda at this point. I thought I wanted to tune Hemi's and after finding out the ugly truth about the PCM and all sorts of things, I wish I would have just stayed with my ScatPack. 11.6 all day with just a tire. Was good for the 11.5 index and I had no problems, 100% fun to drive. Sadly I think this just answered my decision.

If it was a 9 sec car would you keep it?

Seems like you've put a lot of work in to give up now. If you're done with the car, I get it, but if it just requires a little more to get there then I'd see it through.
It should be in the 9's already, that's the frustration. If it was in the 9's it be a no brainer.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I think you’re expecting a little too much for what you have. How far into the nines would be enough to satisfy you? Like some have mentioned, it would likely just take some real nice DA and a decently prepped track to break into the nines. Besides,if you sell and build a race only car, it’s just as easy to end up chasing that elusive, magic number.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I wouldn't sell just yet . You have a good foundation and it just needs some fine tuning .
Btw I have never heard of a locked tune when using HpTuners. Have you verified this yourself or is this what you were told ?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Anecodotally, car with 2.85 went 10.0. No beadlock, no nothing. Just 2.85, 104, 305 on race stars and was a Charger Hellcat. I know him personally and I know his shop HHP.

Right now it is in my garage and it just sits there, I don't even like driving it because on the road it's not fun, one blip of the throttle and it's like well now I'm going over the speed limit.

I'm still answering this. If I sell it I am going to build full drag car, car is too nice to turn into a race monster which is why maybe I feel this way. I'll drink and meditate.

Tuner is well known, won't name them on the forums as it can strain the relationship more and I'd not like them to grenade the motor in the next revision to teach me a lesson on my way out. Mod list:
2.72 Hellraiser Clutched Pulley
ID 1050x injectors.
FI Interchiller spacers and blanket.
Pinned Crank
180* T-Stat
x2 JLT Catch Can
JLT Intake
Fore dual fuel pump setup (OST kit)
HHP Racing Springs (front and rear)
Mickey Thomspons Sportsman S/R Radial on Dragstar 18x5'
Mickey Thomspons ET Street R 315/50r17 on D5 Forgestars
DSS Drive Shaft
DSS Drive Shaft Hoop
P4D DIRS Diff brace
No driver side seat
No rear seat bottom
104 tune from tuner
No resonator or muffler, still using stock downpipes
It’s hard to say without seeing a slip or a log but you should be able to do 9s no matter the weather. I know you haven’t named the tuner but maybe talk with him and tell him the car isn’t as fast as you hope.
what mph are you seeing?
fall is the best time to get the times you want.
maybe you tune is on the super conservative side. What fuel are you running for the 104octane?
You could try a different tuner. No idea who tuned your car but sometimes a second set of eyes on your car will help.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It would not, I am over it kinda at this point. I thought I wanted to tune Hemi's and after finding out the ugly truth about the PCM and all sorts of things, I wish I would have just stayed with my ScatPack. 11.6 all day with just a tire. Was good for the 11.5 index and I had no problems, 100% fun to drive. Sadly I think this just answered my decision.

It should be in the 9's already, that's the frustration. If it was in the 9's it be a no brainer.
Yeah I get that, just wondering if you like this specific car or just want a 9 sec car.

If you'd be happy with the car if it was in the 9s, then keep going.

If not, then it's a sunk cost fallacy.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
It is locked in the UI. A tune that is locked will not be edited or be able to be edited by the receiver. It is a new feature in HP Tuners. The only element you get in the UI is the write functionality.
1629078251377.png

Not enabled cause I don't have my MPVI2 hooked up. But the red down arrow w/ chip will be enabled.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Also if high 9s is your goal the hellcat platform is the best platform to do it in. That’s my opinion. Many disagree. At least for cost.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
It is locked in the UI. A tune that is locked will not be edited or be able to be edited by the receiver. It is a new feature in HP Tuners. The only element you get in the UI is the write functionality.
View attachment 51675

Not enabled cause I don't have my MPVI2 hooked up. But the red down arrow w/ chip will be enabled.
That’s not a screen of a locked tune. That is a screen of being remote tuned. I thought the same at one point. Hp tuners doesn’t have a lock function. It just has a function to remote tune. This tune isn’t locked.
I wouldn’t recommend sharing the tuners tune on open forum. Sending to a few people to review may be ok.
a datalog would be great to see. And would not cause any issue sharing with all.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Wooden make any differ ance to butt, butt,, ask me teacher, with arm in the air,, me teacher. While I am watching Counting Cars,, good show. I am lukin and searchising, not necessarly brand new, over that. I want and have had a?????? Twin turbo Supra already built from the factory. I am single and plan that way till the end,,, so I don't need the extra seating and or room for grand babies car seats. This car is made for 1 thing and only 1. Speed and quickly. Do not see them often,, scary. Either that or a new C8 but like any other good auto, hard to find. Any and all hard to find. I am in no hurry so if it dosen't slap me in the face like a new #7 fiancee, then just sit and watch the # go up.
I have done alot of my own tuning and really never heard of a tune you can't dip into,,, one way or the other. Buttster never know what your tuner has done. Why I did and learned how to do it myself. Then when and if you sell the car,, you can take that tune out and store it and replace it with the stock one. That is what I thought. Up there. Doing my own you have a lot of leverage.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Your car has 9's written all over it. Give it a chance. Switch tuners. Don't give up with success staring you in the face. Maybe a couple of tweeks from some one else. Good luck in your choice.(y)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
There's not much difference in a 2.85 and 2.72. 1 to 1.5 psi from what I've seen so maybe .08 to .1 and 1 or 2mph I'd guess. How'd the 60 foot and mph compare to yours? On mine .1 on the 60 is .18 in 1/4 ET. Yours is trapping 137 if I remember right and that's moving a long pretty good.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
That’s not a screen of a locked tune. That is a screen of being remote tuned. I thought the same at one point. Hp tuners doesn’t have a lock function. It just has a function to remote tune. This tune isn’t locked.
I wouldn’t recommend sharing the tuners tune on open forum. Sending to a few people to review may be ok.
a datalog would be great to see. And would not cause any issue sharing with all.
I would never do that. That's a shitty thing to do and swore to myself if I got into the tuning world that would be a no no. Data logs are 100% fair game.

Attachments

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That being said,,,, not a hole shot in the between the 2. No, when I sold my cars that I tuned I also gave up the other program that I modified or being the the stock one. Like having a key to the car,,, to it and that goes with it. Like the PCM,, goes to that car and that is it. Why sell a car and keep the tuned program?? Want work unless you want to??? Nope, that would be stealing.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
3.09 or 2.62's ?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here's my first 9 second slip in the Hellcat for reference. DA was -100. You can see I was having the same problem, kept hitting very low 10.0X or 10.00X times and yes very frustrating. The MPH is there you just need a good 60'. Mine needs a 1.50ish to get it done. Anything below that and the rest is gravy. After the 9.93, I ran several more 10.0X and 10.1X passes before hitting a 9.83 the following weekend in -225 DA with a 1.49 60'.