Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

When to know to get out? I.e. sell.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Correct. Too much power is detrimental in my opinion. Have to work the suspension (if needed and on these cars it appears that definitely a must) to put the power down effectively.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lewes
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 HC RedEye Super Stock
...and YES, I agree some tuners (although you spend a lot of money with them) DON'T TRUST YOU with their reputation, and
keep everything dialed too safe. Went through that with a Mustang GT..... and my son's 98 blown Cobra.
I feel it is my money, if you want me to sign something fine.... I should be trusted to put in race gas, and bump my
timing a hair in either direction where the reward should far out weight the minimal risk.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You need stickier tires and come off the line harder. You will be consistently in the 9’s if you get your 60’ in the 1.4’s

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I was looking at the list of top 10 stock 1/4 mile times. Lots of power variation, more power doesn't seem to correlate with faster times. Then looked at the photos, Demon front tires off the ground at launch.
Is there a way to reprogram HC suspension software, like make rear extra soft in say street mode...enough to make a real difference without new hardware?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes there is. After doing my own tuning for a while. I want do that with this one. I should say,, I don't know today, but after a luncheon I will have this week I will know. Other wize some one on here will be able to answer that. But, I do not want to speak out of out of line, so I am going to say, I do not know, but,,,,. It is now pouring down rain so there goes the romp down US19. Weather coming off the gulf could set in for hours. From Tampa, fast and furious, over and dun with.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
...and YES, I agree some tuners (although you spend a lot of money with them) DON'T TRUST YOU with their reputation, and
keep everything dialed too safe. Went through that with a Mustang GT..... and my son's 98 blown Cobra.
I feel it is my money, if you want me to sign something fine.... I should be trusted to put in race gas, and bump my
timing a hair in either direction where the reward should far out weight the minimal risk.
As a tuner I see both sides of this comment. Yes, it is your car and if you want a kill tune thats all you, however.....when the car performs great, you're happy, the car is happy, and the tuner is happy. You post impressive slips, tag the tuner, and all is well. Then you get some bad fuel, IAT comes out the intake tube, bad air, etc etc, and you scatter all your pistons down the track.

You're fine with that as you agreed to the kill tune, but how many other people see that vs how many see tuner blew up your car. All out track cars are one thing, but on a daily driven street vehicle, I personally tent to tune a little more conservative. As a tuner we rely on our reputation. I personally would rather be known as the guy whose customers win at the track more often than not, but you can drive the car to the track, stop on the way home for some street races, then drive it to church the next day vs the tuner who wins all the races at the track, but you never know if it will stay together for the drive home.

I've had a couple of customers get a hold of some bad gas (c16 that was almost 50% water, unknown e85, significant others filling up with 87 etc.) and clip some pistons. The customers understand it wasn't a tuning issue, but it definitely affects business as too many only know I was the tuner and the cars are down, most don't know that fuel had water, or wrong fuel in the tank, or.........

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1629145933989.png

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Not another performance Mopar that's for sure. I outright own the car and don't need the money so that's not it. I just wanted a fast car and I thought I put it all together correctly, synced with the right people and here I am just not happy with it. Logs look great, nothing mechanically wrong with the car. Tune is locked so I can't up timing or fuel and I have to accept that as that is the contract I have right now.
Reminds me of when Larry Larson was sort of frustrated with the whole Drag Week bit that he built his S10 to pretty much the height of ridiculousness with what people claim to be a "street car"

5.95 @ 244mph.
larry-larson-drag-week-2014-pits-overview.jpg

It never ends unless you build to a class or build what you want. But if you want to be "fastest guy on the street" and there are no rules, here you go.

I think the TRX is about as fast as I'd want in a daily driver and it runs mid 12s and waxes 99.9% of anything i will run up against on the road.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I was never a hard core racer but have tried drag racing, road courses, and autocross. I found none of it fun other than an open lapping day on the road course a couple of times a year. I just never had the time and wasn't willing to invest the money needed to be competitive so just enjoy driving my cars on the street now. The Hellcat excels as a weekend cruiser I think that's what it is suited for best honestly.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well, having a 800HP car and not putting it on the track where you can actually use the power makes zero sense to me. If you just wanna cruise around buy a 392 and save $30K. It's cool and all to have 800HP but on the street you hit jail time and car impounded/sold speed limits way too fast.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Well, having a 800HP car and not putting it on the track where you can actually use the power makes zero sense to me. If you just wanna cruise around buy a 392 and save $30K. It's cool and all to have 800HP but on the street you hit jail time and car impounded/sold speed limits way too fast.
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's not your car or your money.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
This has actually turned into a pretty good thread, hope it stays friendly.
Track racing to push the limits is fun, and rewarding. No doubt.
But also, onramps 10-75 merging onto the highway, with a little wheelspin for grins, uses a fair amount of the available HP/Torque. Quite the blast and breaks no laws.
Track or street, so many ways to have fun with 700+ HP without risking life, limb, or jailtime!

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
This is greet conversations being the Electric Revolution is bringing insane power to vehicles we never would have imagined would be at the hands of so many here. So as far as power I think years ahead some will laugh at us saying 700hp is only for track racing😁. And just dial back the clock to 2011 and I post a thread a 700hp factory built car within reasonable pricing and as reliable and comfortable as a daily driver😳. So many would be like no way that’s happening and laugh at me.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
E9D7CD25-D12D-42B5-BB08-C5B316523446.png

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
lol, I love that, yet kept my HC almost stock?! RodSerling2.jpg

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's not your car or your money.
Sure it does. I'm always right just ask me and I'll tell you lol

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #77
So I think I'm going to wrap up this thread. I cleared it up with the Tuner:

1.) I am a dumbass and thought Master/Slave meant locked, I could still read the tune. I could have been learning this whole time.
2.) I am going to keep the car and run it, if it goes 9's this week then that's an accomplishment in of itself with Summer heat.
3.) If it goes 9's now, I'm buying a cage cause with better weather it's only going to get faster. I'm not on E85 and we have barely touched the TCM.
4.) Thank you all for the feedback and support especially @jonx96 and @Hpindy

Next mods in order cage, E85 tune (might even do it myself) and an Active Interchiller. I would like to remove IAT out of the equation.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Bring it down to Challengerfest. Lots learned at those events each year.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
So I think I'm going to wrap up this thread. I cleared it up with the Tuner:

1.) I am a dumbass and thought Master/Slave meant locked, I could still read the tune. I could have been learning this whole time.
2.) I am going to keep the car and run it, if it goes 9's this week then that's an accomplishment in of itself with Summer heat.
3.) If it goes 9's now, I'm buying a cage cause with better weather it's only going to get faster. I'm not on E85 and we have barely touched the TCM.
4.) Thank you all for the feedback and support especially @jonx96 and @Hpindy

Next mods in order cage, E85 tune (might even do it myself) and an Active Interchiller. I would like to remove IAT out of the equation.
WAY better than the bat to the windshield route. [biggrin]

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States