Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

BoostedGTA 2021 Super Stock

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ron, changing the launch control RPM did absolutely nothing for when torque reserve comes on during regular launches in track mode.

Also, can you clarify which specific issue that Stellantis is aware of and working to fix? Is it the 2021-2022 short shifting?
I only told them the car would not do a static burnout in TRACK mode.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #202
I only told them the car would not do a static burnout in TRACK mode.
Interesting--wasn't aware that anyone had a burnout issue. Is this on the 2022's? On my 2021, i do my burnout the old fashioned way (not using line lock) and the car is always in track mode.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
It might be a 2022 + only issue. I am pretty sure I read about it happening on other cars. Stellantis did confirm it and said they will work on a fix. I too do my burnout the old fashioned way using straight up DRAG drive mode. Was TRACK in the Super Stock, that I owned.

I use this source very sparingly. And since I have been reading conflicting info in this thread I am not ready to bitch about the cars short shifting. My Friends car only had 6 passes on it and it DID short shift 1-2 very noticably. But I honestly do not think it did it every time and his car has 2"+ taller than stock rear tires. There is a Guy I know from TX that has a 21 and he said his car took 53 passes to learn. Not sure how he came up with that exact number unless he was data logging every pass and comparing the shift points. So , just maybe that is what Stellantis did. Maybe they came up with a more sophisticated calibration that is adaptive.

Others on here say that resetting the Adaptives fixed the problem and another said their car just learned ofer time to shift at a higher RPM.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Interesting--wasn't aware that anyone had a burnout issue. Is this on the 2022's? On my 2021, i do my burnout the old fashioned way (not using line lock) and the car is always in track mode.
I am really curious about the cars going into Torque Reserve sporatically.

I am going to make a couple points and please keep an open mind.

#1. When the car limps, like when you do something wrong in the burnout using the line lock, the way the car SOUNDS and acts is identical to Torque Reserve. Seriously.

#2, the very first example you give of it happening to you while staging your car racing your Friend, is exactly how the car would act if it limped. I have seen it happen from outside the car and to me in the drivers seat.

If the car limps and you close the throttle and then go WOT , in some cases, the car is going to take off. I saw a Demon break the Diff doing this. Example, he was on Launch Control and it timed out a fraction of a second before he released the brake pedal and hit the gas. He had no perception of this because it literally happened a few milliseconds before. So he smashed the throttle and nothing happens. He closes the throttle and then smashes it agan and has full power along with lash in the driveline. Diff breaks. I was standing right there and watched this happen. I also have had this happen to me while racing my own Demon. But I got away with it, fortunately.

To all those that read this thread. Can you actually launch with this Torque Reserve active? So, no line lock enabled, no Launch Control enabled. Stage car, bring RPM up, you hear Torque Reserve Kick in and then launch from there without lowering the RPM back down to exit Torque Reserve or closing the throttle to reset things.

We are going to test this with our 22. But I wonder if the car is trying to limp because it thinks the Launch control or line lock is enabled whether or not it actually is.

I also do not find this to be a huge issue if you can run the LC setting to max and then it does not do it any more. Keep in mind also many times what you reccolect and what you actually did might differ and sometimes you are doing something that you are not aware of. Good example was me guarding the brake pedal while doing my burnout using the line lock. I did not realize I was touching the brake pedal and that was limping me. Once I started putting my left foot over to the left on the dead pedal that issue stopped. Doing a burnout the old fashioned way you are actually DRAGGING the brake pedal. So it's not an issue and is not so obvious when using the line lock because you are used to doing it.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #205
I am really curious about the cars going into Torque Reserve sporatically.

I am going to make a couple points and please keep an open mind.

#1. When the car limps, like when you do something wrong in the burnout using the line lock, the way the car SOUNDS and acts is identical to Torque Reserve. Seriously.

#2, the very first example you give of it happening to you while staging your car racing your Friend, is exactly how the car would act if it limped. I have seen it happen from outside the car and to me in the drivers seat.

If the car limps and you close the throttle and then go WOT , in some cases, the car is going to take off. I saw a Demon break the Diff doing this. Example, he was on Launch Control and it timed out a fraction of a second before he released the brake pedal and hit the gas. He had no perception of this because it literally happened a few milliseconds before. So he smashed the throttle and nothing happens. He closes the throttle and then smashes it agan and has full power along with lash in the driveline. Diff breaks. I was standing right there and watched this happen. I also have had this happen to me while racing my own Demon. But I got away with it, fortunately.

To all those that read this thread. Can you actually launch with this Torque Reserve active? So, no line lock enabled, no Launch Control enabled. Stage car, bring RPM up, you hear Torque Reserve Kick in and then launch from there without lowering the RPM back down to exit Torque Reserve or closing the throttle to reset things.

We are going to test this with our 22. But I wonder if the car is trying to limp because it thinks the Launch control or line lock is enabled whether or not it actually is.

I also do not find this to be a huge issue if you can run the LC setting to max and then it does not do it any more. Keep in mind also many times what you reccolect and what you actually did might differ and sometimes you are doing something that you are not aware of. Good example was me guarding the brake pedal while doing my burnout using the line lock. I did not realize I was touching the brake pedal and that was limping me. Once I started putting my left foot over to the left on the dead pedal that issue stopped. Doing a burnout the old fashioned way you are actually DRAGGING the brake pedal. So it's not an issue and is not so obvious when using the line lock because you are used to doing it.
I'll have to play around with the torque reserve and test launching from it. I am pretty sure (going from memory) that when torque reserve kicks in that I was able to get back out of torque reserve by raising the rpm even higher (like it has a window, not just activated at >1400 etc).

Another strange thing when I got the "no throttle" incident racing my friend's Z06, I had been stalled up on the line for an extended period of time (he took forever to fully stage). Perhaps the car doesn't like to be held with gas and brake for a certain period? That's the only thing that I can remember that was difference about that time.

I would really like to learn more from Dodge about the torque reserve. You would think that would be the optimal launch when you are taking advantage of it, but most of us seem to get the best results launching from 2000 rpm's or more. So what benefit is it really?

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #206
Finally made it back to the track last week, video link is below. Density altitude on the first pass was 2600' and a little less by the 2nd pass but still over 2000'. Interesting as we were discussing the "torque reserve" in the last few posts above... you can hear on my 2nd pass as I'm stalling up that it goes into torque reserve, but I gave it more throttle and it went away just before my launch.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Finally made it back to the track last week, video link is below. Density altitude on the first pass was 2600' and a little less by the 2nd pass but still over 2000'. Interesting as we were discussing the "torque reserve" in the last few posts above... you can hear on my 2nd pass as I'm stalling up that it goes into torque reserve, but I gave it more throttle and it went away just before my launch.

Love the video.

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Good work Boosted.

6.5638 1/8 mile converts to 10.25 1/4 mile.

Seems to me if we add negative DA into the mix, you could hypothetically be dipping into the high 9's ? ;)

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #209
Thanks--tried out a driver facing camera angle unintentionally since my helmet mounted camera fell off at the last minute!

Good work Boosted.

6.5638 1/8 mile converts to 10.25 1/4 mile.

Seems to me if we add negative DA into the mix, you could hypothetically be dipping into the high 9's ? ;)
Yes, that's exactly what I came up with... Sea level gets me to 10.05ish, so negative would definitely be the 9 second pass!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye

Cool to watch you launching it, left that Mustang in the dust! SEE YA!!!

Bummer you only get to run 1/8 miles as the top half of the track is a fun ride :)

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #211
Cool to watch you launching it, left that Mustang in the dust! SEE YA!!!

Bummer you only get to run 1/8 miles as the top half of the track is a fun ride :)
I do like having the GoPro mounted to where I can swing it toward the drivers side or passenger side windows! Wish we had a 1/4 mile track closer, but I'm happy with 1/8 being 10 min from my house!

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
It's good to see you getting back to the track. I haven't had mine at the track since last January. It's picked up a fair amount of pizza's and such since then though. LOL
All of my local tracks are 1/8th, as you know, it's normal in the south. For me, if I can go 6.50's here at home in decent air I go 10.0's in Houston in really good neg DA air.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #213
It's good to see you getting back to the track. I haven't had mine at the track since last January. It's picked up a fair amount of pizza's and such since then though. LOL
All of my local tracks are 1/8th, as you know, it's normal in the south. For me, if I can go 6.50's here at home in decent air I go 10.0's in Houston in really good neg DA air.
Thought I was going to run a number last night, but they closed the track at the last minute. Said it was going to be too cold (fwiw, it was 65 degrees here in the afternoon and didn't get below 50 degrees until 10pm which is closing time anyway). I checked the DA and it was only 195' as of 9pm! Oh well! Will try for Saturday...

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thought I was going to run a number last night, but they closed the track at the last minute. Said it was going to be too cold (fwiw, it was 65 degrees here in the afternoon and didn't get below 50 degrees until 10pm which is closing time anyway). I checked the DA and it was only 195' as of 9pm! Oh well! Will try for Saturday...
Well crap. That sounds like maybe a waste of a good DA night.
Mine probably won't be seeing the track again this year. We're headed over to Surfside Beach for several days on Monday and by the time we get back everything near us will be closed for the season.
Good luck on Saturday.

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #215
Well crap. That sounds like maybe a waste of a good DA night.
Mine probably won't be seeing the track again this year. We're headed over to Surfside Beach for several days on Monday and by the time we get back everything near us will be closed for the season.
Good luck on Saturday.
Have fun at the beach! We do have an option year round for another local 1/8 mile track, but it's 45+ min away and I try to keep the miles off this car (and avoid interstates for rock chips etc). So if I do go this winter, it will be if my friend with an enclosed trailer wants to be generous!

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #216
Decided to install some ID1300 injectors and try out some E85 fuel for the last track day of the season! Still working on the the tune, so this pass was without any additional timing added (yet). Unfortunately, after this first pass, the track prep went away and I blew the tires off on my last 2 runs. Will have to continue getting it dialed in next year I guess. Btw, this run was against my friend's stock C7 Z06 (on a drag radial) and I wish I had turned my camera to be looking out the passenger window... too much going on and I forgot!!

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
VERY NICE ! --------------- That converts to a solid 9.95-10.0 1/4 mile ET.
You could be looking at a 9.75 - 9.85 if in negative DA ?
Very impressive for just simply swapping out the tires and injectors and using E85 pump gas. (y)

Last edited:
OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #218
VERY NICE ! --------------- That converts to a solid 9.95-10.0 1/4 mile ET.
You could be looking at a 9.75 - 9.85 if in positive DA ?
Very impressive for just simply swapping out the tires and injectors and using E85 pump gas. (y)
Thanks! I think the DA was around 900' that night. Can't wait to finish getting it dialed in, but it may be March before that happens :(

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #219
Decided to install some ID1300 injectors and try out some E85 fuel for the last track day of the season! Still working on the the tune, so this pass was without any additional timing added (yet). Unfortunately, after this first pass, the track prep went away and I blew the tires off on my last 2 runs. Will have to continue getting it dialed in next year I guess. Btw, this run was against my friend's stock C7 Z06 (on a drag radial) and I wish I had turned my camera to be looking out the passenger window... too much going on and I forgot!!

And a few shots of the preliminary work then hitting the track... 20221104_201721_2.jpg 20221025_220117_2.jpg 20221024_174633.jpg 94821b.jpg jeff vs shep launch c.jpg

OP
BoostedGTA

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #220
Random fall pics 20221108_152548~2.jpg 20221108_153058~2.jpg 20221108_153121~2.jpg 20221108_212600.jpg